To eat or not to eat? When you have braces that is one of the most common questions you will likely find yourself asking. More specifically, you may wonder whether a certain food item will damage your braces or get stuck in it.
Think about popcorn. It’s a staple food if you’re watching movies, but if you’re asking if you can eat it when you have braces, the answer is no. Popcorn is one of the top foods to avoid when you have braces. The tiny kernels can get lodged in between your braces and teeth, leading to discomfort and potential damage.
Let’s dive in to learn more about the foods that should be sidestepped when you’re wearing braces below.
Foods To Avoid When Wearing Braces
While wearing braces, it’s essential to be mindful of what we eat. Some types of food can cause damage to the braces or lead to plaque accumulation. The key is to stick to soft foods that won’t put a lot of pressure on your braces and require less cleaning effort.
Here’s a list of some foods you should avoid.
Hard or Crunchy Foods
Foods like nuts, hard candies, or ice can put unnecessary pressure on braces and break or damage your wires and brackets. Other foods to avoid under this category include hard taco shells, pretzel chips, hard cookies or crackers, and hard chocolate bars.
Even biting into hard fruits such as apples or even raw vegetables can dislodge your braces. It’s better to cut them into small pieces before consuming them.
Sticky foods can get stuck in your braces, making them difficult to clean. Prime examples include caramel, chewing gum, or gummy bears and candies. These kinds of foods can also potentially bend or dislodge the braces.
Foods that require significant chewing like bagels or licorice can dislodge your braces or bend the wires. Similar to sticky food items, these can get stuck in your braces and become a pain to clean. Beef jerky and tough steaks also fall under this category.
Corn on the Cob
While corn on the cob is delicious, it can be difficult to eat with braces. Just like popcorn, corn on the cob can break the brackets and get lodged in your braces. It’s safer to remove the corn from the cob before eating.
Alternative Foods to Eat Instead
For every food you are better off avoiding, there are plenty of other snack options available that you CAN enjoy while maintaining orthodontic care.
- Soft Fruits and Vegetables: Opt for soft fruits like bananas, berries, and melons, as well as cooked vegetables that are easy to chew.
- Dairy Products: Enjoy yogurt, soft cheeses, and milk-based smoothies for a calcium-rich snack.
- Soft Grains: Cooked pasta, rice, and oatmeal are braces-friendly options that are easy to eat.
- Soft Meats: Choose tender meats like chicken, fish, and ground beef that are easy to chew.
- Smoothies and Milkshakes: Blend your favorite fruits with yogurt or milk for a delicious and braces-friendly treat. However, remember to be mindful of the sugar content to avoid plaque buildup or cavities.
General Care Tips for Braces
- Brush and Floss Regularly: Maintain good oral hygiene by brushing your teeth after every meal and flossing daily. Use a soft-bristle toothbrush and a fluoride toothpaste.
- Avoid Bad Habits: Avoid habits like nail-biting, chewing on pens, or biting into hard objects, as they can damage your braces.
- Attend Regular Orthodontic Appointments: Keep up with your scheduled orthodontic appointments for adjustments and check-ups.
- Wear a Mouthguard: If you participate in sports, wear a mouthguard to protect your braces and teeth from potential injuries.
- Stay Calm if Accidents Happen: If you eat a food that is bad for your braces and something happens to them, it’s important to stay calm and to reach out to your orthodontist for proper guidance.
Experience Premium Care at Bay Area Orthodontics
Adhering to food tips and guidelines can mitigate potential damage to your braces and ensure a smoother, more efficient journey towards a stunning smile. If you’re unsure about any food, consult your orthodontist before including it in your diet.
For more personalized advice or assistance, reach out to Bay Area Orthodontics.
At Bay Area Orthodontics, we are committed to helping you navigate your journey with braces smoothly. Our team of experienced professionals is always ready to address your concerns, making sure you enjoy a stress-free experience while working towards a healthier, brighter smile.
Schedule an appointment with us today!